Of the 10 highest mountains in the world, 9 are located in the Himalayas. Himalaya’s facts tell us that the mountain range is located in 4 countries, Nepal, Tibet, India and China but also stretch into Pakistan where they become known as the Karakoram Range. Here is a list of the 10 highest mountains in the world with their height in feet and meters, plus the range they belong to and the country or countries in which the mountain lies.
10. Annapurna – 26.545ft/8.091m – Himalayan Mountains – Nepal
This mountain was first climbed on 3rd June 1950 by the French team of M. Herzog and L. Lachenal. It is part of the Cho Oyu mountain group.
9. Nanga Parbat – 26.660ft/8.125m – Himalaya Mountains – Pakistan
First successfully climbed on the 3rd July 1953 by Hermann Buhl and this is part of the Dhaulagiri group of peaks.
8. Manaslu – 26.781ft/8.163m – Himalayan Mountains – Nepal
Four climbers by the names of T, Immishi, K. Kato, M. Higeta, and G.Norbu successfully climbed this mountain for the first time on 5th may 1956. The mountain is part of the Cho Oyu group.
7. Dhaulagiri – 26.795ft/8.167m – Himalayan Mountains – Nepal
Successfully climbed for the first time on 13th May 1960 by K. Diemberger, P. Diener, Nyima Dorji, Nawang Doriji this mountain has as its parent, K2.
6. Cho Oyu – 26.906ft/8.201m – Himalaya Mountains – Nepal / Tibet
First climbed by H. Tichy, S.Jochler, and Pasang Dawa Lama in October 1954, this mountain has Mount Everest as its parent mountain.
5. Makalu I – 27.766ft/8.463m – Himalaya Mountains – Nepal / Tibet
J. Couzy, L. Terry, J.Fraco, G, Magnone-Gialtsen, J. Bouier, S. Coupe, P. Leroux and A. Vialatte were the first people to climb this mountain on 15th May 1955, which also has Mount Everest as its parent mountain.
4. Lhotse I – 27.940ft/8.516m – Himalaya Mountains – Nepal / Tibet
This is another mountain that has as its parent mountain, Mount Everest and it was first climbed by F. Luchsinger and E. Rejss who reached the summit on 18th May 1956.
3. Kangchenjunga – 28.169ft/8.586m – Himalaya Mountains – India / Nepal
This mountain was first successfully climbed on 25th May 1955 by G.Band, J.Brown, N.Hardie and S.Streather and also has Mount Everest as its parent mount ain.
2. K2 – 28.250ft/8.611m – Karakoram Mountains – Pakistan / China
Although K2 is said to be in the Karakoram Mountain Range, it still has as its parent mountain, Mount Everest. This mountain was successfully climbed for the first time by A. Compagnoni and L.Lacedelli who eventually reached the summit on 31st July 1954.
1. Everest – 29.035ft/8.850m – Himalayas – Nepal / Tibet
Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world and probably also the most famous. It was a great moment when this, the highest mountain in the world, was successfully climbed on 29th May 1953 by Edmund Hilary and Tensing Norgay. Although many people believe that this mountain is located in Nepal, which is where the climbers start from, the peak of the mountain is in fact located in Tibet.